Dialing It In: Theatre-Making in a Digital World
Adriana Baer, the Artistic Director of Profile Theatre in Portland, will share how an ancient art form created for story-telling and community gathering is still relevant in 2015. Using Sarah Ruhl’s play Dead Man’s Cell Phone as the primary example, Baer will explore contemporary society’s relationship with technology and how that affects theatre-making and story-telling today, in keeping with this year’s program theme, The Power of Persuasion: How We Get Information.
Adriana Baer, who earned a BA from Sarah Lawrence College and an MFA from Columbia University, took the helm of Profile Theatre in 2012. Her commitment has been to achieve more gender equality in Profile’s work. Playwright Sarah Ruhl, winner of the MacArthur “Genius Grant” Fellowship and twice-nominated for the Pulitzer Prize, is only the third female playwright featured in Profile Theatre’s 18-year history.
The year-long run of Ruhl’s work provides a platform to foster dialogue, conversation, and celebration of the contribution of women in all walks of life, both in our community and nationally. Baer hopes her presentation to Portlandia will inspire members to connect further with one another by attending the production of Dead Man’s Cell Phone. This play runs from January 29 through February 15. Go to www.profiletheatre.org to learn more about this amazing theatre that focuses on the work of a single playwright each season.
Your ticket includes parking validation at either of these 2 parking garages for 2.5 hours by Portland City Grill:
- Parking is in the lower level of the Unico US Bank Tower, entrance at 5th and Pine
- And across the street at 4th and Pine. Parking is free for the first 2½ hours with validation
Alternative Parking for Portland City Grill that is NOT validated:
- Central Parking System - 310 SW 4th Avenue
- Star Park - 610 SW Alder St.
- Smart Park Garages - 808 SW Stark St.
- Alder Street Parking Garage - 615 SW Alder St.
- City Center Parking - 130 SW Stark St.
- Ace Parking - 550 SW Park Ave
- Smart Park - 730 SW 10th Ave
- Smart Park Garages - 818 SW 4th Ave
- Pearl Garage - 1111 NW Davis St.
- Fox Tower Parking Garage - SW Taylor St. & SW Broadway St.
- U-Park - 1311 SE Washington St.
- City Center Parking, 514 SW 6th Ave
Bookings are closed for this event.